Friday, October 19, 2012

Nature’s surprises



I’m just in from scouting the gardens for flowers to liven up the house on this gray day. A couple of weeks ago we were supposed to have a hard frost so I picked and cut every living tomato, pepper, flower and herb that I thought could be harmed. The frost did come but it didn’t get everything. I now have a few late-season zinnias in one vase and a single, pink rose surrounded by lavender in another.

There are also blooms on one of the tomato plants.

As always, nature is unpredictable. One of the things I love about gardening is that it keeps me in touch with what’s going on in the world outside my door. When a gray day with no sunshine comes along, it’s easy to work inside with a hot cup of tea and feel content. But stepping out the door to feel the wind against my face and to hear the leaves crunch underfoot heightens all my senses, even when I’m back inside.

As the days get colder, don’t be a wimp. Breathe in that air (unless it’s going to make you sneeze) and commit to memory. When the ground is white, you’ll be happy to think once again about these days of fall, even the gray ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment