Sunday, June 11, 2017

From Fresh to Flavorful




Sundays during gardening season are cooking days in our house. My husband and I gather fresh produce from the garden then figure out what to make with it. Today’s challenge included mustard, kale and broccoli.


It wasn’t hard to figure out what to do with the greens. One of our favorite spring recipes is Mollet Eggs Florentine, a recipe I saw Jacques Pepin make on his PBS show. I combined kale and mustard instead of using the spinach the recipe calls for. I also used fresh eggs from a friend of ours.

Because that’s a rich dish, I wanted something lighter to accompany it. That’s where the broccoli comes in. I heard someone on a cooking show talking about putting broccoli into a food processor and making broccoli slaw so I decided to try that for an easy, no-cook option. I added a few baby carrots into the food processor then scooped it all into a bowl to which I added mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, honey and apple cider vinegar. The result was the perfect accompaniment to the greens and eggs.

Now the question is what to do with the rest of the greens and broccoli. If you have ideas for make ahead dishes that I can put into the freezer, please share. Mini quiches to freeze are next on my list.

1 comment: