Monday, January 10, 2011

Roasted root vegetables add flavor to party

This past evening Jim and I went to a dinner party to celebrate two friends who are preparing to move to the Philippines. The meal was a feast—broccoli and cauliflower salad, roasted chicken, flank steak, spinach bread, potato and cabbage casserole, snowball cake and my contribution of roasted root vegetables.

Root vegetables (and winter squash) are easy to keep for the winter months. We still had beets, sweet potatoes and Irish potatoes from our garden to use in the recipe. I’ve never grown parsnips and had to buy them. It felt wonderful to be able to take a colorful dish filled with flavor and nutrition.

Typically when I roast vegetables I toss them in olive oil, salt and pepper, roast at 400 degrees until done then enjoy. The recipe I had from Kentucky Proud (a website with information about Kentucky products) called for making a dressing for the vegetables. Although I’m not a horseradish fan, I made the dressing with half the horseradish and drizzled it on the vegetables. The results? See the ratings for yourself.

Kathy: 9
Doug: 9 (Did you cut these all up so uniformly yourself? Maybe it should be 10!)
Jim: 9

If you don’t have your own root vegetables, check your area farmer’s market or the local coop. You’ll be happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment