Friday, November 13, 2009

The multi-faceted sweet potato

Who knew the sweet potato could have so many personalities? I grew up eating sweet potatoes once, maybe twice a year. Mom always “candied” them with butter and brown sugar for Thanksgivine. I loved them. In the past few years, however, I’ve been learning that the sweet potato has many sides to its personality.

I like sweet potatoes as fries (especially with avocado dip), baked, in cake and now, as hash. I tried a sweet potato hash recipe this week that combined some savory spices with onions and sausage, plus homemade salsa, for a unique taste that was easy to pull together. To go with it, I made caramelized onions with garden-fresh kale topped with a drizzle of maple syrup and dried cranberries. The green next to the orange on my plate made a very eye-pleasing plate and if I hadn’t been so excited about tasting it, I would have taken a picture first!

We still have lots more sweet potatoes to play with. If you have suggestions for cooking sweet potatoes, send them my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment