Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Turn the leftovers into a casserole

There was a time when food companies created all sorts of casserole recipes using their products so they could sell more of their canned and boxed products. Many of those recipes have become family favorites for generations. But you don’t have to use canned cream of mushroom soup to make a casserole. You can do it with your leftovers and maybe one or two more additions.

Although we loved our roasted pumpkin stuffing for Thanksgiving, there was plenty of stuffing and pumpkin left afterward. Giving leftovers a new twist always makes them more attractive so that’s what I did with the stuffing and pumpkin.

First, I put it in a bowl and added more stuffing that I hadn’t yet baked. Next, I chopped our leftover turkey and stirred it in. You can use any amount of each of the three ingredients—stuffing, pumpkin and turkey—that you prefer or that you have left over.

Next, I shredded cheddar cheese. In our household, adding cheese to a dish is never a bad choice.

I chose a round casserole dish and put down a layer of the stuffing mixture. Next, I poured a little chicken broth over it to add moisture. Then I sprinkled a layer of shredded cheese. I followed the same procedure a second time and the rest of my stuffing filled the casserole dish to the top. Bake at 375 for 30 – 45 minutes, until the cheese is quite melted but not browned, and serve hot. It was delicious.

It’s not a magic mixture that good just for stuffing leftovers. Right now I have a leftover rice and greens mixture in the refrigerator that I’m thinking of adding beans, cheese and vegetable broth to for another casserole. It will be quick, easy and provides a warm dish on a chilly night.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog and they way you are expressing words is amazing.

    The way Brand and products are increasing choices are getting harder and harder so we must define some parameters before buying a product, right? Check How to select a Watch Before you Buy : http://stuhrlingwatchreview.com/?page_id=51

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did exactly this same thing with leftovers...and I ended up being the one that ate the entire amount over a period of a week. My family is particularly persnickety, and given the fact that they weren't too fond of turkey to begin with, well. I love to add carrots and chestnuts, berries, and celery to pre-made stuffing for nourishing meals in seconds, but no one in my house will eat it! For Thanksgiving, along with the turkey, I roasted beets, turnips, potatoes, and jerusalem artichokes, and the family enjoyed those individually and by the each later, but not the casseroles.

    ReplyDelete