Friday, March 25, 2011

Lessons of the week

Every week comes with a lesson for the observant. This week mine arrived as I considered different ways to grow things. When I went to Wonder of Life Farm to pick up eggs (I love the way their eggs are a variety of sizes and colors!) and saw they had a greenhouse similar to ours. Since I’m still learning about growing in a greenhouse, I asked Maria details about hers. She had no electric-powered heating or ventilation. Like me, she had purchased a thermometer to keep in the greenhouse.

When we stepped inside it felt like a little bit of plant-birthing heaven. Not only did her plants sprout from small pots, but she had opened a bag of soil and planted seeds directly into it. They grew as happily as all the rest.

Needless to say I went home, put together a tray of sample pots to try out in the greenhouse, labeled each one and moved on to the next stage of my own experiment.Last I checked, the jicama is finally sprouting.

Yesterday an article in the Lexington Herald-Leader newspaper gave me more ideas about growing containers. It talks not only about planting in bags of soil, but also about using tote bags, old planters, bushel baskets and leaky buckets. The point of the article is that even if you don’t have space for an in-ground or raised-bed garden, there are other options. Although I am blessed with space for both, I sometimes get so enthusiastic that I fill my space then search for more. I think I have a leaky water can that’s going to have a new life.

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour Beth,
    Une serre c'est vrai que l'on se sent comme au paradis... Tout pousse, avec bonheur..., une joie que je partage, bien entendu avec vous. Amicalement Jean-Philippe

    ReplyDelete