Friday, April 8, 2011

Gardening by the moon

Yesterday I went to a presentation about gardening by the moon. I’ve heard many people say the “old-timers” always used the signs of the moon to plant by but I didn’t know what it meant. It sounded sort of mystical and maybe superstitious. And I didn’t know if I had the time to garden by the moon since I work full time and make time to garden on sunny days when I don’t have an overwhelming number of deadlines. However, the presentation convinced me I need to give it a try.

Science has proven that the moon has a strong pull on the Earth’s water. So, during a full moon and a new moon, ocean tides rise. That, however, isn’t the only result of the moon’s pull. Water from deep in our soil also rises. That means that if you plant seeds during the full moon and new moon, you’ll see better germination. At least that’s the theory.

There are also specific gardening tasks to do during the other phases of the moon. I’m still studying all of this to more fully understand it. However, results are not the only reason to try this method. It sounds like a wonderful way to be more aware of what’s happening in the universe. Perhaps it will encourage me to look up into the skies more often.

Since I don’t have a Farmer’s Almanac I’m ordering a calendar from a www.gardeningbythemoon.com that the presenter referred to repeatedly. I’m so excited to get started that I asked for priority shipping.

Have you used the moon to dictate your gardening habits? If you’ve learned something, please comments and share. And I’ll be updating my adventure as I move along.

1 comment: