Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Grounded


Evelyn’s Pesto
When I return from a writers’ conference, as I did Saturday evening, I don’t immediately peruse my new writing ideas. I go to my garden.


Being away from my garden is like missing a favorite meal. I crave it until I’m checking in with the tomatoes and butternut squash to see how their colors have deepened and their size plumped. I push my fingers into the soil to feel the level of moisture. I pluck a raspberry and savor the sharp flavor on my tongue, then I fill my container. I also give thanks for this relationship I have with the particular piece of land God has entrusted to me.

And so today I think it’s fitting to share a recipe from a friend of mine who is a debut novelist. Grounded, by Angela Correll, takes place mostly on a farm where career-woman Annie is spending time with her grandmother, Beulah. Together, they garden and cook, among many other adventures. Learn more about Angela, her book and her recipes at her website. And cut some of your remaining basil for this recipe.

Evelyn's Pesto

4 cups of basil leaves (fresh)
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of pine nuts
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup italian parsley (fresh)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese

Put all ingredients into a food processor and process until mixed well. Freeze or eat fresh. Use as pasta sauce by heating and adding a bit of cream or as a seasoning for vegetables or soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment