Sunday, November 20, 2016

A simple supper pleases




I attended an out-of-town conference last week which meant my meals came from restaurants. I like eating out once in a while, but after so many meals cooked by someone else I’m ready to go back to my own cooking. 

The other side effect of traveling is that I returned to a very full day’s work. At the end of the day that left me with little energy to cook. So as I drove toward home I wondered what we had that I could prepare. Sweet potatoes, onions, Swiss chard. It was a start. Here’s what I ended up with.

Simple sweet potato supper
Medium sweet potato
1 Onion
1 TBSP Butter
1 tsp olive oil
Garlic clove
1 small bunch Swiss chard
Balsamic vinegar
1 can Cannellini beans
Basil butter

1. Bake sweet potato.
2. Thinly slice onion. Melt butter in skillet with olive oil. When skillet is warm, add onions and cook on low until soft.
3. Chop garlic and add to onions.
4. Fill pot with water and cover until boiling. In the meantime, wash and chop Swiss chard. Drop into boiling water for a minute or two. Remove and rinse in cold water to stop cooking.
5. Squeeze water out of greens and add to skillet. Sprinkle with salt. Stir to mix with onions. Sprinkle on a good balsamic vinegar or your favorite kind of vinegar.
6. Add beans and stir until all is warm. Check seasonings to determine if you need more salt.
7. Cut open baked sweet potato and dress with basil butter, or your favorite kind of butter.
8. Top with greens and beans.



No comments:

Post a Comment